Sunday, December 30, 2018

RAYMUND MARASIGAN IS A JINGLE FAN





I GREW up in Candelaria, in a little town in Quezon province, a few hours away from Manila. I discovered JINGLE magazine in my early teens from older cousins. At first, it was just to learn the lyrics of my favorite tunes, then later on to learn the chords. A bit later, I read the reviews and based my music/LP buying (with my limited high school budget) if it was a best or worst rating. Haha. I asked my mom to regularly buy the magazine from the neighboring cities of San Pablo and Lucena.
One time, an issue was so late, I even asked my mom to take me to their Cubao office. I was surprised how small it was. Of course, no one minded me. Haha. I never did find that damn issue.
When I went to college in UP, I found new (lifelong) friends (and bandmates) in Kalayaan freshmen dorm by hanging out and singing tunes with a guitar and a portable keyboard with our old, worn out copies of JINGLE.
My unknown college band discovered Club Dredd and Red Rocks by searching for addresses in the magazine. (We were a bit late for Katrina's.) In Dredd, we met most of our heroes we only read about in the magazine. Eventually, the magazine folded up but the music and INFLUENCE live on. 
 
Thank you, JINGLE.
Raymund M.

NOTE: Acknowledging LoWRIDA15 for the YouTube video.




2 comments:

  1. In behalf of the Guillermo family...I would like to thank Raymund and Sandwich for giving us credit through "Betamax."
    -- Eric Guillermo

    ReplyDelete
  2. Wow, Raimund is here! Bakit po walang "like" button? :)

    ReplyDelete